MEWShop’s six week intensive Art of Editing workshop Starts online May 2nd
Manhattan Edit Workshop (MEWShop), the cutting-edge, online digital-training destination for post-production specialists and content creators has announced the upcoming artist-in-residence for the May 2nd class will be Emmy-nominated editor Susan Vaill ACE.**
Susan Vaill ACE is an editor of both comedy and drama series, including Hacks, This Is Us, Space Force, and Grey’s Anatomy. Susan’s love of music-driven storytelling has led her to be described as ‘a legendary music supervisor masquerading as an award-winning editor.’ In 2022 Susan won the ACE Eddie award for Television Comedy Editing for the Hacks episode, “1.69 Million”, as well as a 2021 Emmy nomination for editing the Hacks episode “Primm,” and an HPA Award for editing the Hacks episode “Falling.”
Born and raised in Los Angeles, Susan first entered the film industry in an ‘80s Doublemint gum commercial and the Hal Ashby film Bound For Glory. She studied film theory and art history at Williams College and got an MFA in film production at USC. After assistant-editing on documentaries and feature films like The Last Samurai, Susan edited over 70 episodes of Grey’s Anatomy which won the Golden Globe for Best Drama Series in 2008. Her very first episode “Into You Like A Train” was nominated for the DGA Award in Drama. Susan also directed three episodes of the series, one of which featured an Emmy-winning performance by guest actress Loretta Devine.
After a decade at Grey’s Anatomy, Susan turned to comedy, editing the HBOMAX series Hacks led by Jean Smart, Space Force led by Steve Carrell, Grandfathered led by John Stamos, and Me, Myself & I led by Bobby Moynihan and John Larroquette. She returned to drama to edit the upcoming HBO limited series The Time-Traveler’s Wife, the award-winning NBC drama This Is Us, and the critically acclaimed AMC dramedy Lodge 49. Her Lodge 49 episodes “Circles” and “Le Reve Impossible” earned spots on The New York Times’ and Entertainment Weekly’s year-end lists of Best Episodes of Television of 2019.
Susan has edited six television pilots and helped launch eight shows in their first season. In 2018, Susan was elected to the society of American Cinema Editors, and in 2019 she spearheaded ‘Bumped Up: the Leadership Workshop for New Editors’, a recurring event co-sponsored by ACE and the Editors Guild. You can also find Susan on the golf course, at a sewing machine, or at karaoke singing “I’m On A Boat” by The Lonely Island.
The next instalment of MEWShop’s Six Week Intensive Workshop will be taught live online beginning on May 2, 2022 and will be held Monday through Friday from 10am EST to 6pm EST. For more information on the online six week intensive workshop or to register, please visit https://www.mewshop.com/six-week-intensive-online. “We are pleased to announce editor Susan Vaill,ACE as our next artist in residence,” says MEWShop director of education Janet Dalton. “Her decade of work on the legendary show Grey’s Anatomy and subsequent editing on such a long list of hit shows will be an amazing experience for this upcoming six week class!” MEWShop’s early bird pricing ends April 21st.
Online Class Highlights:
- All lessons and discussions will be live and not recorded versions.
- Free access to each application for the scope of the course.
- The same amount of one-on-one time and attention that students receive for our in-person workshop.
- Remote Adobe Premiere Pro & After Effects training (weeks 1 & 2).
- Remote Avid Media Composer training (weeks 3 & 4).
- Remote Screenings and discussions (weeks 1 – 4).
- Remote Artist in Residence experience with an accomplished editor (scheduled during week 5 & week 6).
- Remote instruction on resume and cover letters (weeks 5 & 6).
- Remote editing and one-on-one review of editing Manhattan Edit Workshop provided projects for student’s reels.
- Ability to come back for weeks 5 & 6 during a future Six Week Intensive to work on projects and receive additional one-on-one time with our instructors.
- Ability to submit and apply to our Intern Referral program.
- Ability to take both Avid Certification tests remotely.
**Artists in Residence are schedule permitting.