Winnersh Film Studios expects to begin welcoming production in 2022
Film studio operator Stage Fifty has released details of its second UK studio, in Winnersh, just outside of Reading, in Thames Valley.
The Winnersh Film Studios is already operational, and will eventually offer 120,000 sq ft of studio space, including a purpose-built 30,000 sq ft stage that will house what Stage Fifty describes as the “world’s largest fully-encapsulated virtual production volume.” The complex is set to open fully by next year, and will result in the creation of 500 new jobs in the film and production sector, and an estimated boost to the UK economy of around £50m.
Stage Fifty currently operates film studios at Farnborough International in Hampshire, which it opened earlier this year.
Created in partnership with Fin Studio Pictures, the volume features an 84m x 7m screen with over 140 million pixels and technology from disguise, infiLED EM, Unity, Unreal Engine, Brompton Technology and Target3D.
VP Stage’s technical specifications also include:
- Fully encapsulated ceiling with accurate pixel match
- 210-degree circumference with separate independently tracked 6m x 7m movable side screens to increase wraparound to 360-degrees
- Screen raises 15m to gantry allowing sets to be built below
- Both ceiling and wall can be independently moved, allowing filming runs of 60 straight meters to screen.
- Bespoke infiLED EM high frame rate ready LED screens with full-colour management pipeline
- Sync sound with 0Db silent screen operation, passive cooling, and acoustic damping
- Integrated motion control rolling road and turntable system
- Unity and Unreal Engine cluster rendering with low latency outputs
- Advanced disguise integration – real-time set extensions, node rendering, DMX control, video playout and full motion capture tracking solutions
- Full rate motion capture stage and advanced camera positioning system including additional remote cameras for continued capture inside set structures engineered and configured by Target3D
James Enright, CEO, Stage Fifty, said: “We’re developing a world-class creative tech hub for the film and TV industry at Winnersh Film Studios. Our stages are robust, high-quality and quick to build. And as 90% of the construction materials are reusable or recycled, they’re more sustainable too. We worked with Frasers Property to secure the space for the new studio at Winnersh Triangle Park. It’s in a great location with fantastic facilities already in place. Wokingham Borough Council and the Local Enterprise Partnership are investing in the transport infrastructure to support more sustainable travel, which was another reason for choosing Winnersh.
“Our stages are robust, high-quality and quick to build. And as 90 per cent of the construction materials are reusable or recycled, they’re more sustainable too.
“We worked with Frasers Property to secure the space for the new studio at Winnersh Triangle Park. It’s in a great location with fantastic facilities already in place. Wokingham Borough Council and the Local Enterprise Partnership are investing in the transport infrastructure to support more sustainable travel, which was another reason for choosing Winnersh,” Enright added.
Adrian Wootton OBE, chief executive of the British Film Commission, added: “Today’s announcement of the opening of Stage Fifty’s Winnersh Film Studios is brilliant news for the UK’s screen industries. Our industry is experiencing a phenomenal growth period. Indeed, the demand for content has never been greater, which in turn is driving the need for greater skills development and additional studio space, services and facilities. The creation of additional stage space capacity such as that at Winnersh Film Studios will help considerably in ensuring that the UK remains a global leader in international screen production.”