One-day festival to educate and celebrate the craft of production design in film and television
The British Film Designers Guild (BFDG), Helix Set Construction and one of London’s newest film studios, Indie-Zero have joined forces on ‘Art Department Takeover’. This exciting day-long event will take place at Indie Zero Film Studios in the London Borough of Greenwich from 11am – late on Saturday 28th October as part of International Production Design Week 2023.
As the SAG-AFTRA strike rolls on, many UK crew members have been out of work since July. With little production activity, crews are not only missing the income, they are missing each other. The ‘Art Department Takeover’ will offer an opportunity for fellow creatives to meet, socialise and share knowledge and ideas at this challenging moment in film and TV. Through the generosity of its esteemed volunteer guests and speakers, ticket prices have been kept low at £10 each and all proceeds will be donated to support groups helping those most affected by the lack of work in the UK.
With a feast of Art Department related events to choose from throughout the day, the festival will attract talent already working in the Art Department and those looking at it as a future career option.
From panels, tours and masterclasses, networking and creative workshops to supplier showcases and skills shares, the event will culminate in an evening screening and social get-together with drinks.
Just some of the highlights will include:
- Informal bitesize workshops devised and delivered by the production design community.
- ‘Sets Education’ workshops from Helix Set Construction including advice on quotes, budgets, health and safety, risk assessments, rigging, materials, CNC machining, scenic art and finishes and the importance of encouraging more women into construction.
- ‘Production Design United’ panel discussion on the importance of Social Capital and how different industry organisations can collaborate to help people find work and improve the rights, interests and wellbeing of anyone working in the Art Department.
- ‘Circular Design’ panel discussion about on finding a universal language and protocols for sustainability between all departments.
- ‘Virtual Production + Gaming’ panel discussion on how different story ideas are represented, the need to embrace new technologies and the crossover of design.
- ‘The Future’ discussion on inclusion, collaboration and integration. Conversations about building a richer and more diverse creative landscape with ways of how we could make it better together.
Commenting on this pioneering event, Blair Barnette, BFDG chair said, “This is an important event to promote the craft, skills and talent it takes to be part of our department. Participants can learn more about AI, sustainability and the future of the Art Department. It’s a rare open door opportunity to get a holistic view of the Art Department and to see what other people’s jobs entail.”
Chloe Fitzgerald, who heads up Helix Set Construction, is keen to encourage more women into the field of construction and she will provide an insightful view on what the role offers, “The construction department has historically been seen as a male domain. In these sessions, I’ll debunk this age-old myth and champion this as a role where talented women from all walks of life can thrive.”
To book tickets go to: https://britishfilmdesigners.com/events/